Thanks to a generous donation from the estate of the late Dr. Arthur C. Pike, the NWA Council developed an annual college scholarship fund in Dr. Pike's name starting in 2001. The award was transferred to the National Weather Association Foundation in 2017.
About Arthur C. Pike:
DR. ARTHUR C. PIKE (1939-1988) was a charter member of the National Weather Association, a research meteorologist for the National Hurricane Center, and an educator. He died of cancer on 25 November 1988 at home in Florida at the age of 49.
Pike received a bachelor's degree and a master's degree from the University of Chicago, a master's degree from Cambridge University, England, and a doctorate in atmospheric science from the University of Miami in 1971. From 1966-1981, he held a succession of research and forecasting positions at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, the Institute of Marine and Atmospheric Science at the University of Miami, the National Hurricane Center, and at stations of the National Environmental Satellite Service in Coral Gables, Florida and Honolulu, Hawaii. During that period, he also taught at the University of California at Los Angeles and at the University of Miami. In 1981, he took his last teaching position at Jackson State University where he was a professor of meteorology. He then resumed his lifelong interest in the study of tropical storms in 1983, when he returned to the National Hurricane Center.
Dr. Pike authored numerous articles for scientific journals. He was a member of the American Meteorological Society, the Royal Meteorological Society, the National Weather Association and Sigma Xi. Donations from his estate went to the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, AMS and NWA.
- 2001 - Nettie R. Lake - Lyndon State College, VT
- 2002 - Edward P. Argenta - Lyndon State College, VT
- 2003 - Matthew Greenstein - Penn State University
- 2004 - Jessica L. Fieux - Florida State University
- 2005 - Zachary M. Byko - Penn State University
- 2006 - Joel Dreessen - Valparaiso University, IN
- 2007 - Megan Linkin - University of Maryland
- 2008 - Benjamin R. J. Schwedler - Iowa State University
- 2009 - Elizabeth Thompson - Valparaiso University
- 2010 - Daniel Brouillette - Northern Illinois University
- 2011 - Alex Wovrosh - Ohio University
- 2012 - John Banghoff - The Ohio State University
- 2013 - Nikki Perrini - Florida State University
- 2014 - Kurt Hansen - State University of New York at Albany
- 2015 - Rod Truesdell - Mississippi State University
- 2016 - Matthew Beckwith - University of Missouri
- 2017 - Daniel Hueholt - North Carolina State University
Please contact the NWA office if you have questions. Telephone 405-701-5167, or via e-mail: email@example.com