We know it's tough having to practice social distancing through this COVID-19 situation, but that doesn't mean we can't be social at a distance! (see what we did there?)
Introducing our new NWA Distant Socials! Every week as we all practice isolating to fight this pandemic, we will hold open virtual chats via Google Meet so you can stay in touch with fellow NWA members and friends!
Join our next session, Wednesday, June 10 at 5:30 p.m. PT/7:30 p.m. CT/8:30 p.m. ET! Just log into your Member Connect profile and click the link on the main page to join the virtual call!
View our Distant Socials rules and guidelines:
What are these?
Open Google Meet video chats hosted by the National Weather Association meant simply to allow members to socialize with fellow members. These video conferences are open to all members and meant to be informal and fun!
Why are we doing this?
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve all been urged to practice social distancing and significantly limit physical interactions with our friends and family members. The National Weather Association fully supports and encourages our members to practice social distancing so we can all do our part to battle the spread of this virus in our communities. However, we also acknowledge this can be extremely tough from a mental and emotional standpoint. We hope these social events can be used as a way to stay in touch with your fellow members in a fun and informal way while we all go through
these tough times.
How it works…
The NWA will host Google Meet sessions that will be open to all members every week through the length of this pandemic.
1. Log into your NWA profile through Member Connect at nwas.org.
2. A link for our “Distant Socials” will be available on the main page in
3. Simply click on the link at the scheduled start time and ask to join
the call. (a webcam and microphone are recommended)
Guidelines and Etiquette for Participating in Distant Socials
● Have fun but be courteous and respectful. The socials are meant to be informal with open and candid discussion about any topic, however any disrespectful behavior or derogatory comments will not be tolerated. If this occurs, you will be asked to leave or be removed.
● Don’t attack others. The discussions on these socials are meant to
stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
● These events are meantto be a safe place to share. Some members may want to share some personal stories or challenges they are going through during this situation. Please respect member’s privacy and keep these discussions within the call.
● Please mute yourself if you are not speaking! These calls can hold as many
as 100 participants at once and if you are unmuted, this can become cumbersome to follow along. Please mute yourself or the call moderator will mute you so everyone can hear and participate.
● Come with topics to discuss with your fellow members! Feel free to come with topics you’d like to bounce off your colleagues! Have an idea to pitch to NWA leadership? Have a project you're working on and want feedback? Want to get some tips on effective teleworking? Anything goes!
The Legal Stuff
These social events are provided as a courtesy of the National Weather Association (NWA). The NWA does not necessarily endorse orsupport the opinions or discussionsthat may arise during these events.
Do not use any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials or
language. Do notshare any information or other material protected by copyright law. NWA leadership may not always actively monitor these discussionsfor inappropriate discussions or shared content and do not on their own undertake editorial control if they occur. However, in the event that any inappropriate behavior is brought to the NWA’s attention, the NWA will do their best to remove the offending party.
Want to join the National Weather Association? Receive our monthly newsletter, webinars, job postings and more member resources. Learn more here!