NWA 45th Annual Meeting
Tulsa, Oklahoma | September 12-17, 2020
Call for Abstracts
The NWA 45th Annual Meeting will be held at Hyatt Regency in Tulsa, Oklahoma from September 12 - 17. Hotel reservations will open in the spring of 2020.
We hope to see you there! #NWAS20
THEME: Forward Together
Meeting the challenges in operational meteorology in the age of artificial intelligence, analytics, and digital communications.
- Abstract Submission Deadline: 19 March 2020
- Authors notified of abstract dispositions: Early May 2020
- Preliminary Agenda: Summer 2020
- 2020 NWA Annual Meeting: 12-17 September 2020
Please read all the instructions on the abstract form. New character limits and specific instructions have been added (most are included here).
Abstract Submissions and proposals for events and workshops can be submitted in the forms below.
- You may stop working on the form and come back to it until you hit the submit button. If edits are needed after you submit it, contact the NWA Office at email@example.com or 405-701-5167.
- Abstracts will be reviewed blindly, so do not include identifying information in the Abstact Text, Title or Elevator Pitch.
- The Program Committee will determine which accepted abstracts will be given as oral presentations. There is no guarantee that an abstract submitted for an oral presentation will be given an oral slot.
- To propose a session, contact the program co-chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abstract fees are waived for students and active (full-time) military members. For all others, the fee is $40 per abstract. There is an option to pay when submitting the abstract or paying later using the invoice that will be emailed to the submitter.
- If an abstract is accepted for any presentation type, the fee is non-refundable, unless the abstract is rejected.
You will be asked to choose which of the following categories your abstract best fits in.
- The Future of Weather Forecasting: Forecasting of weather/climate/extreme events in all timescales, the evolving role of the human forecaster, future forecaster knowledge and skill sets.
- Wisdom of the Crowds: Gathering feedback, group think. Taking the masses and distilling it into usable, actionable information, etc.
- Cross Sector Collaboration: How to solve problems by working together, successful partnerships, etc.
- Conveying the Message in a Digital World: Social media, IDSS, effectively educating the public, the application of social science, broadcast meteorology, etc.
- Communicating Probabilistic Information in an Effective Way: Leveraging ensembles, probabilistic thinking, dealing with uncertainty. How do we communicate complex data and information in an easy to consume manner, etc.?
- Creating a Wellness Culture: Mental health and wellness, mentoring, professional development, etc.
- Leveraging Technology for Weather Applications: AI/Machine Learning, Big Data, NWP, and the latest/greatest forecasting tools.
Abstract Text and Elevator Pitch
- You will be able to type or copy the abstract text into the form. There is no option to upload the abstract.
- The abstract character limit is 2000, or about 300 words.
- Don't include author's names or other identifying information in the abstract.
- For example, instead of writing, "Office/Business/School studied the impacts of the ABC tornado..." write "The impacts of the ABC tornado were examined and resulted in..."